Start preparation as early as possible after your conviction,
* Your attorney should reach out to the Probation Officer
* When is the initial Presentence Report “date due”
* Defense can be 1st to explain your position if the PO was not at trial, and has not already spoken with the Prosecutor
* They still may have an open mind.
A little extra effort goes a long way …
* Consider presenting your client’s biographical history that explains your position in an “organized” letter to the PO, ASAP.
* As Probation Officers are: Very busy – Doing their best – and Never have enough time.
- They may appreciate your efforts in easing this portion of their workload,
* Remember, a little effort does go a long way.