Scoring PSF/Management Variables and Security Level Requirements for Participation
All Programs have Limited Availability: both in facilities, and inmates’ bed space
Axis I Disorders: Mental health and Substance abuse
Axis II Disorders: Personality and Developmental; targets inmates with severe personality disorders, typically Borderline Personality Disorder, who have a history of behavioral problems in the institution and who are amenable to treatment. P5330.11
Some BOP Facilities have trained: Inmate patient care assistants (PCA-Page 3):
- FCI Butner, NC-Medium: Providing ADL assistance where needed.
- Trained Inmate Mental Health Companions to assist others with mental illness, working under psychology staff-
- USP Atlanta, GA-High (Secure MH Step Down Unit),
- USP Allenwood, PA-High (Secure),
- FCI Petersburg, VA
- USP Florence, CO-High
- BOP Trained Inmate Mental Health Companions Observers for Suicide Watch on fellow inmates
1st: first-timer young male offender
- < 32 years of age, or younger,
- Who’s facing a sentence of 60 months or more?
- In a medium-security facility
- Receives $40 for successful completion of the 6-month program to help acclimate to life inside.
Brave Program– 2 Facility Locations:
FCI Victorville, CA-Medium
FCI Beckley, WV-Medium
2nd: male in (or facing) a USP
- Substance abuse/dependenceDelusion and/or a Substance-induced Psychotic Disorder
- Major mental illnesses as:
- Psychotic Disorder that may include Mood, Anxiety, Schizophrenia,
- Participants can be referred through staff assessment or self-referral
Challenge Program – 15 Facility Locations:
USP Allenwood, PA-High
USP Atwater, CA-High
USP Beaumont, TX-High
USP Big Sandy, KY-High
USP Canaan, PA-High
USP Coleman I, FL-High
USP Coleman II, FL-High
USP Hazelton, WV-High
USP Lee, VA-High
USP McCreary, KY-High
USP Pollock, LA-High
USP Terre Haute, IN-High
USP Tucson, AZ-High
3rd: male or female but who
- does not require inpatient treatment.
- has serious mental illnesses.
- lacks the skills to function in a general population.
Mental Health Step Down Program– 3 Facility Locations:
FCI Butner, NC-Medium (MH Step Down Unit)
USP Atlanta, GA-High (Secure MH Step Down Unit),
USP Allenwood, PA-High (Secure)
*Male inmates with a primary diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder are referred to the STAGES Program
4th: male or female
- with a history of mental illness related to;
- physical, mental, intimate domestic violence, or traumatic Psychotic Disorder?
- The program is given during their first 12 months of incarceration.
Resolve Program– 15 (F), 2 (M) Facility Locations:
ADX Florence, CO-Maximum (M)
FPC Alderson, WV-Minimum (F)
FPC Bryan, TX-Minimum (F)
FCI Tallahassee, FL-Low (F)
FCI Dublin, CA-Low (F)
FCI Waseca, MN-Low (F)
FCI Danbury, CT-Low (M)
FCI Aliceville, AL-Low (F)
FMC Carswell, TX-Adm. (F)
FSL Danbury, CT-Low (F) (Activating)
SCP Lexington, KY-Minimum (F)
SCP Greenville, IL-Minimum (F)
SCP Coleman, FL-Minimum (F)
SCP Marianna, FL-Minimum (F)
SCP Victorville, CA-Minimum (F)
SCP Danbury, CT-Minimum (F)
SFF Hazelton, WV -Low (F)
- With serious mental illnesses, and a
- Primary diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder, along with
- Hx of unfavorable institutional adjustment linked to this disorder
Stages Program– 2 + 8 Facility Locations:
Secure Stages Program: (2017 National Program)
- FCI Terre Haute, IN-Medium
- USP Florence, CO-High (Effective 9/ 2014)
These may also be available here, therefore checking with the BOP is recommended:
- FPC Bryan, TX – Minimum
- FMC Carswell, TX – Med. Ctr
- FCI Aliceville, AL – Low
- FPC Coleman, FL – Minimum
- FPC Marianna, FL – Minimum
- FCI Tallahassee, FL – Low
- FCI Dublin, CA – Low
- FPC Victorville, CA – Minimum
6th: Females; with
- Substance abuse – who may be RDAP eligible.
- Mental illness,
- And a history of domestic violence – with a PTSD diagnosis.
- All care can be provided here without the need for a transfer.
The Female Integrated Treatment (FIT) Program – 1 Location:
- FCI Danbury, CT-Low – The New (FIT) Program
7th: Those with significant
- Autism Spectrum Disorder and ALL OF ITS PARTS,
- Difficulty interpreting what others are thinking or feeling.
- Difficulty regulating emotion.
- Difficulty maintaining the natural give-and-take of a conversation.
- The tendency to engage in repetitive or routine behaviors.
- Strict consistency to daily routines; outbursts when changes occur.
- Problems with: social stimuli and aversions to smells, tastes, textures, along with the inability to decipher unwritten rules.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder,
- Epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- cognitive limitations: psychological – intellectual or neurological deficits,
- This is a 12-18 month program, participants may elect to continue participation.
Skills Program– 2 Facility Locations:
- FCI Coleman, FL-Medium; (Male & Female)
- FCI Danbury, CT-Low (male)
- Dental care (non-routine) is tough to find for people with autism, as they require general anesthesia.
8th: Drug Abuse Education resulted in:
- Substance abuse that contributed to the offense,
- Substance abuse resulted in a supervised release violation.
- This is a 12-15 hour Educational Course / Not a drug treatment program.
9th: Nonresidential Drug Abuse Education Program
- Upon completion may receive $30
- For minor or low-level substance abuse impairment.
- Benefit; the possibility of spending the maximum period in a halfway house (RRC)
- To verify RDAP eligibility, in addition to drug and alcohol abuse, prescription medications along with other medications available over the counter are also included.
———————– Sex Offender Management Programs (SOMP) ———————————-
11th: Low to moderate sexual offender?
- Single-sex crime; or first-time Internet Sex Offense?
SOMP Nonresidential (SOTP -NR) – SOTP-NR Program– 8 Facility Locations:
FCI Elkton, OH-Low
FCI Englewood, CO-Low
FCI Petersburg- Medium
FCI Marianna, FL-Medium
FCI Seagoville, TX-Low
FMC Carswell, TX-Med. Ctr. (Females)
FMC Devens, Massachusetts
USP Marion, IL-Medium
USP Tucson, AZ-High
12th: high-risk offender?
- History of multiple sex crimes (re-offense sex offender),
- Extensive non-sexual criminal histories, including;
- rape, sodomy, incest,
- transportation with coercion,
- sexual exploitation of children,
- unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, and/or
- internet pornography?
SOMP Residential (SOTP -R) – SOTP-Residential Program– 2 Facility Locations:
- USP Marion, IL-Medium/High
- High FMC Devens, MA-Med. Center.
13th: Sexually Dangerous Persons
Certification & Civil Commitment
- The Walsh Act,
- one “who has engaged or attempted to engage in sexually violent conduct or
- child molestation and
- who is “sexually dangerous to others.”
- a person is considered sexually dangerous to others if he;
- suffers from a serious mental illness, abnormality, or
- a disorder where he would have serious difficulty in refraining from sexually violent conduct or
- child molestation once released.
SOMP Commitment and Treatment Program – Facility Location:
Physician Presentence Report Service, LLC